Monday 11 April 2011

THE AMERICAN EDIT

The American version of 'The Demi-Monde: Winter' is going to be launched on the 27th December so I've just got the edit of book back from HarperCollins (love the Camelcase!) and though it’s a lot lighter than I feared it has highlighted more inconsistencies in the text than I’m comfortable with. How can I have missed these things? I’ve only read the damned book a hundred times!

Still hopefully there’s time to tweak the UK paperback so all is not lost. I'm just thankful that the American editor was so bloody eagle-eyed.

Funny thing is that I hadn’t realised that Americans use so many z’s in their spelling – all these specialize, recognize etc. And that they don’t use blonde when describing the colour of a woman’s hair was a surprize too.

Give it another hundred years and the two languages will have all the similarities of French and Spanish.

No comments:

Post a Comment