Thursday 11 November 2010

RENEGADE WRITERS' GROUP: 10TH NOVEMBER

The weather's been so bloody miserable the last couple of days that it takes a real effort to get out of the house. But Nell and I braved the cold and the rain and went to the Renegade Writers yesterday. It was worth it.

Peter read a poem - which I thought very good - and then five 100-word microStories. I'd not met this trope (my word de jour) before and I have to say it came as a bit of a shock, especially as it seems obligatory for each story to have a twist at the end. Peter did them well - though I did struggle with the punning one which turned on there having been a 'Vowel Deed' done. Interesting.

Tim had a new story he'd just started - I was a little disappointed, I was looking forward to more of his sex-o-drama - but the story had some good things in it. The opening line was a killer: 'the corridor was lined with the death masks of her lovers'. And some of the other ideas will, I think yield some good things. He needs a twist at the end...maybe he should liase with Peter, he seems to have lots of them!

The highlight tho' was Jan's continuing of her neo-noir fairytale 'Jack, Out of the Box' where she's brought fairytale characters to life in a Chandler-esque setting, all molls and mobsters. There are so many good things happening in the story and that I think is Jan's problem: she's simply got too many ideas and you find yourself being overwhelmed. The staccato feel is great but i think there must be the occasional opportunity to draw breath. Anyway Jan very kindly let be have a hard-copy so I'll have a look at it over the weekend and, hopefully, be more constructive with my comments next Wednesday.

A really interesting evening and I'd strongly recommend it to all aspiring writers in the Stoke areaa.

1 comment:

  1. As always, it was very enjoyable indeed, and your story was great too!

    ReplyDelete